Sector in which the organization works:
Short description of the organization and its work to control and eliminate NTDs
The global biopharmaceutical company AbbVie and its foundation, the AbbVie Foundation, are supporting innovative new efforts to advance the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of neglected diseases around the world. In 2009, AbbVie – then the pharmaceutical division of Abbott – created an Executive Council for Neglected Diseases to coordinate efforts across the company to contribute innovative technologies, drug compounds and scientific expertise, working in partnership with non-profit organizations, academic research institutions and multilateral agencies. The AbbVie Foundation also supports programs to advance research and expand community education and outreach on neglected diseases.
Key examples of this work include:
- Sharing compounds and scientific and regulatory expertise with the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) to advance research on new treatments for NTDs.
- Partnering with DNDi to advance a preclinical development program evaluating the use of flubendazole for the treatment of lymphatic filiariasis (elephantiasis) and river blindness.
- Collaborating with other companies, research institutions and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to create the TB Accelerator partnership to accelerate the discovery of new treatment options for TB.
- Working with the TB Alliance to screen AbbVie compounds for novel classes with activity against tuberculosis and providing technical research expertise.
- Sharing compounds and scientific expertise with the Medicines for Malaria Venture and the University of Pennsylvania to investigate new treatment options for malaria.
- Partnering with the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine to discover new treatments for systemic filariasis (elephantiasis and/or river blindness) by targeting Wolbachia infection.
- Providing AbbVie Foundation support for a partnership with the University of Notre Dame to eliminate lymphatic filariasis (elephantiasis) in Haiti through salt fortification, mass drug administration and research.
- Partnering with MAP International to address Buruli ulcer in Cote D'Ivoire, providing AbbVie Foundation grants to educate and train health care professionals and schoolteachers in disease detection and management, and support health clinics that provide treatment and care.
AbbVie is one of the 20 original endorsers of the London Declaration
AbbVie’s Partnerships to Address Neglected Diseases