The Leprosy Mission England and Wales
Sector in which the organization works:
Short description of the organization and its work to control and eliminate NTDs
The Leprosy Mission (TLM) England and Wales is a Christian international development organisation which has been transforming the lives of people affected by leprosy since 1874. Our goal is to eradicate the causes and consequences of this disease. We are part of The Leprosy Mission International Global Fellowship, working with 30 Leprosy Mission partners around the world to implement leprosy programmes and advocate on leprosy issues. We work together to support the implementation of pro-poor strategies for holistic development, promoting social justice and raising international awareness of leprosy.TLM provides targeted support for individuals, families and communities affected by leprosy, disability and other causes of social exclusion that lead to poverty.
Our work includes:
- Treating leprosy and providing general health care and health awareness training,
- Training national health staff to diagnose and treat leprosy and prevent disability,
- Providing surgery and physiotherapy,
- Training people affected by leprosy in self-care,
- Providing housing support, water and sanitation,
- Providing small business loans and vocational training,
- Empowering people affected by leprosy and disabilities to lobby governments and employers for equal rights,
- Medical and social research,
- Providing emergency aid to disaster areas in countries where we have existing projects/partners.
The Leprosy Mission