Do you want to use your skills and experience to make a difference? Are you passionate about global health issues?
Uniting to Combat NTDs is looking for passionate, experienced and influential people to join its Board and to support its mission.
Uniting is looking to recruit Board members that can assist with the delivery of its advocacy and resource mobilisation priorities and that can provide the perspective of being based in a country endemic for neglected tropical diseases.
What are neglected tropical diseases?
Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) is an umbrella term used to describe a group of communicable diseases that affect over 1.7 billion people.
NTDs cause immeasurable suffering. They debilitate, disfigure and can kill. By most commonly affecting some of the most vulnerable people in the world – who often live in remote communities – NTDs create cycles of poverty and cost endemic nations billions of dollars every year.
What is Uniting to Combat NTDs?
Uniting to Combat Neglected Tropical Diseases (Uniting) is a global advocacy organisation that exists to end neglected tropical diseases by mobilising resources in support of the World Health Organization's NTD road map and the Sustainable Development Goals. We envision a world where no-one suffers from these preventable and treatable diseases.
We work with over 150 partners around the world to create the political will and an enabling environment for change to collectively address the NTD crisis. Together, we champion investment for NTDs.
The partnership is a coalition of the willing which includes bilateral and multilateral donors, private philanthropists, NGOs, youth networks, pharmaceutical companies, academic and research institutions and other partners. It is an open partnership, welcoming all partners and organisations who are committed to playing their part supporting countries in the fight against NTDs. Each partner has their own remit and contributes to the fight against NTDs in accordance with their capabilities and focus.
Roles and Responsibilities of Board Members
The Board is the governing body of the partnership and is responsible for setting the strategic direction for the partnership aligned with WHO-NTD goals and NTD indicator in the SDGs. Specifically, the Board will:
- Help end neglected tropical diseases by mobilising resources in support of the World Health Organization's NTD road map and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Act as an advocate and support the Secretariat in the implementation of its strategy and efforts to catalyse global and domestic resources for NTDs and for the secretariat.
- Provide "big picture" leadership in developing the high level strategic priorities and plans of the partnership and Secretariat.
- Contribute to, review, approve and monitor the strategic plans, operational plans, and budgets proposed by the Secretariat.
- Provide direct input, oversight, and support to the Secretariat for development of partnership strategic and operational plans to be implemented by the Secretariat.
- Approve the creation and disbanding of Working Groups as needed to carry out the partnership’s strategic goals.
- Oversee the effectiveness and efficiency of the governance model.
- Commit sufficient non-remunerated time to prepare for, attend, and participate fully in all Board meetings, discussions and decisions.
To find out more about becoming a Uniting to Combat NTDs Board member please click here
To find out more about the current Uniting to Combat NTDs Board members please click here
Skills and experience required for the role
- Senior leadership experience in a global commercial organisation with experience leading/influencing resource mobilisation, business development and stakeholder management.
- Have an in depth understanding of, be aligned with, and have a personal commitment to the Partnership vision, objectives, principles, and core values.
- Have an in depth knowledge of the issues around NTDs, international health and/or development, and development financing and/or advocacy.
- Be a recognised expert in their field with the knowledge and capability to contribute towards shaping the overall strategic direction.
- Engage members of the Consultative Forum, Secretariat, Partnership and other stakeholders with a consultative approach whilst taking into account diverse opinions, perspectives and experiences.
- Ensure the independence of their decisions and act in the best interest of the Partnership rather than any specific organisation.
- Have sufficient time available to dedicate to the role.
Desirable for the role
- Senior leadership experience in a global commercial organisation with experience
leading/influencing resource mobilisation, business development and stakeholder
- Senior leadership experience, having the viewpoint and decision-making authority to influence and guide the high-level strategic decision making, direction and outcomes of an organisation.
- Strong management skills with experience working in a diverse and complex, multi-stakeholder environments.
- Experience serving on governing bodies of commercial and/or partnership organisations, and the ability and capacity to network effectively and broadly.
- Ability to act as ambassador and advocate for the Partnership.
To apply please complete a nomination form accessed via the link here, or if you are nominating a colleague please click here and please send a curriculum vitae to email@example.com detailing why you want to take on this role and how your skills and experience will ensure you can make a difference.
For further information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org