The announcement of the creation of the Global Partnership for Zero Leprosy is a major milestone that will accelerate progress towards a world without leprosy.
The partnership brings together organizations including the:
- Novartis Foundation
- International Federation of Anti-Leprosy Associations (ILEP)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- International Association for Integration, Dignity and Economic Advancement (IDEA)
- national leprosy programs.
“The new Global Partnership for Zero Leprosy continues a tradition of the NTD family, where committed and dedicated organisations come together under a common goal to defeat these diseases of inequity. The varied expertise of the partners and increased collaboration in the fight against leprosy will pave the path towards a world free of leprosy and discrimination.”
Julie Jacobson, chair of the Uniting to Combat NTDs stakeholders’ working group
The partnership will focus on:
- accelerating research in new diagnostic and therapeutic tools, interventions, and strategies to interrupt leprosy transmission
- mobilizing technical assistance and expertise to strengthen existing national programs and accelerate translation of new evidence into action
- increasing advocacy and fundraising.
In our latest Progress Report of the London Declaration, we identified some challenges in the fight to eliminate leprosy, including continued transmission, slow case detection and social exclusion. Through accelerating research, mobilizing expertise and increasing funding, the new partnership will be able to tackle these challenges.
We look forward to collaborating with the Global Partnership for Zero Leprosy as we work together to end discrimination of those with leprosy and eliminate the disease once and for all.